Friday, June 4, 2010

PBW Kick off

Happy Beer Week Everyone!

Officially started my beer week today instead of tomorrow. I was in town for work this afternoon and realized that Brain O'Reilly, Brew Master from Sly Fox Brewery was doing a meet and greet at Jose Pistola's, which happened to be about 5 streets up from where I was delivering. So what the hell! Plus I could use a little lunch, since I went without breakfast this morning. Jose Pistola's website: http://www.josepistolas.com/.


For those who know me, know that, I quietly like to check out a place and see what's going on before I interact with anyone. That
is what I did. Walked inside, got a beer, then sat at a table and
order my lunch. Today I went with a Pulled Pork Sandwich, Chips and Guacamole. I will say it was really amazing. A little messy. A little spicy. A little cheesy. A little crunchy from the onion rings. A total BBQ guys dream. The Chips and Guacamole are the perfect accent to the sandwich. The guacamole was like butter, and the chips were crispy, hot, and well seasoned. It all tied in well with the Chester County Bitter by Sly Fox Brewery.

Chester County Bitter from Sly Fox Brewery. It poured from a firkin like slow liquid gold and nice white head. If you don't know what a firkin is, its about the size of a 1/4 keg, and it's used to hold about 9 gallons of cask conditioned ale. Also it an English measurement for about 41 liters.
1 firkin = 40.9148269 liters. Okay enough of that. The nose had a little citrus, sweet malt, and some floral notes to it. Mouth feel was smooth and a little light. The taste had some citrus, floral notes, light malt sweetness. The backbone of it was of hops. The hop taste rolled around the mouth nicely. A definite British Bitter. There was a little heat on the back end, but no more then any other beer. So you'd expect me to write a food pairing for this here. All I have to write is, "Read what I had for lunch". The guacamole, chips, and this beer I could have sat there all day watching the TV.

Okay, laugh. I know you want to. I am horrible at having my picture taken. I can not smile. Its genetic, I swear. Anyways, Brain O'Rielly is a tall dude. I'm 5'11ish, and he's a good 5 inches taller. He has to be one of the cooler people I have met in my life time. Talking with him was like talking to your friend you haven't seen in a long time. I didn't get to interviewy, well because that's the way I am. Although, I did ask him one question.
Q: "What is the most inventive things you have ever done?"
A: "I would have to say the collaboration beer that we made for Philly Beer Week."
For those who don't know the Official Collaboration beer for Philly Beer Week is...
Brotherly Suds One or BS1 for short.
Don't know if I like the BS1, sounds a little rude. It is a ESB Beer, with 5 different hops, 5 different malts, and 5 different Brewers. It was all brewed out of the Sly Fox Production Brewery. That little tid bit of info came from the Beer Lass. Her website is http://beerlass.com/. She was there as well, but didn't really want to bother her. She was busy with the days events. You should look here up. I mean it... Okay, after you finish reading this blog.
Then it was time to get back to work, after one more stop to my favorite home brew shop. The website for directions and info on the shop is: http://www.barryshomebrew.com/. I needed to pick up a few essentials for my Irish Ale recipe. Barry is the guy you want to meet if you want to ferment anything. Beer, Wine, Mead, Cider, Grape Juice, he will help you out. Plus, he has an awesome drinking hat. You can see the hat, him, and Beer Lass in the current issue of Philly Beer Scene. The website for the magazine is : http://www.beerscenemag.com/. I better get my behind back to work. Have to make beer money. As always, "Be Well, and Drink Well!"

No comments:

Post a Comment