Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Belgian Cafe & Rob Tod

Hi everyone!!

This the second to the last blog of Philly Beer Week events that I attended. I hope you enjoy it. Also if you want to get on the Philly Beer Week for next year, keep up with thier website: http://www.phillybeerweek.org/.

It was an interesting start to the day because my "TomTom" was stolen two days before, and had to resort to an old school map. I was lost for about twenty minutes, before I realized I was south instead of north. I'm Polish, what can I say. Anyways, I finally found "The Belgian Cafe". Website: http://www.thebelgiancafe.com/ .


It was like a small pocket of Europe on a street corner. Iron metal work on the railings, that I always like to see. Cafe seating so you can enjoy drinking outside on nice days. The inside is an old fashion pub style with exposed wood. The atmosphere is relaxed and cheery. Also the waitstaff was very knowledgeable about the beers. If I live anywhere near here, this would be my watering hole.

I was a little peckish so I ordered a Reuben Sandwich. This was unlike your traditional reuben sandwich, but I'll say, it was the best loose meat sandwich I have had to date. The meat was so tender, the sauce had a little zing to it, and the slaw on the side was spectacular. I always finish my plate, but I think I licked the plate clean. Rob Tod also enjoyed the food, but he might hate me for taking the picture to the right.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Today's event was to meet Rob Tod the founder of Allagash Brewing. A man I was honor to meet. Allagash Brewing brought Belgian style brewing to America's "Craft Beer" market. I know when it comes to the passion of explaining beer making and all the other things to do with beer, he has me beat hands down. I asked him a few questions about his procedures in how he makes his beer, and well your eyes would glaze over. I am a "Beer Dork", so to me it was fantastic to sit and listen. The best advice he gave me and I am a firm believer in is, "Take very good notes on everything during your brew day, because you might never know what little thing helped you make a great beer or a really bad one". I tried three of Allagash's beers when I was there, and here they are:

Burnham Road by Allagash Brewing Company. It poured a light orange/brown with a nice fluffy head. The nose had a smokey smell almost like toasted wood chips on the grill. The mouth feel was slightly carbonated, with a medium body to it. The taste was surprising to say the least. I picked up the sweet malt first, then the smoke rolled in, then got a brown sugar as well, and some bitter hop. Went really good with the Reuben Sandwich.



Grand Cru by Allagash Brewing Company. It poured a cloudy light brown with a big white head. The nose was of rich malt, fruit, flowers, and a little Belgian funk. The mouth feel was silky and had a medium body. The taste was bready, a little sweet, some lemon, coriander, and spice. I would drink this with quite honestly, with Pot Roast. The mixture of meaty juice and veggies would be a nice mix.




Victoria Ale by Allagash Brewing Company. Poured an golden amber color with a pillow like head. The smell was a little winy, sweet, some floral, fruit, spice, and yeast. The mouth feel was a little dry, clean, crisp, and spicy. The taste had wine grapes, some tart fruit, and then some hop. It seemed that somebody mixed my beer with some wine and I got a nice surprise. Would go great with a nice Mixed green salad, and Broiled Fish.

You can find out more about the Allagash brewing company at their site: http://www.allagash.com/ .

I had a great time talking with Rob Tod. I also met a woman named Lauren, who was nice enough to take Rob Tod and my picture. I just wanted to say thank you to her, just in case she ever reads this. I'm pretty sure I'll see her around, because I have something in the works for future blogs. So that is all for now. As always "Be Well, and Drink Well!"

No comments:

Post a Comment