Thursday, May 6, 2010

Special Ales

Hello Everyone!

Okay I was supposed to have these next two beer blogs posted already, but as everyone knows, life sometimes gets in the way. For these three beers there was three tasters. Boozer X, whom I consider a great friend and beer drinker. Rothy, which I also consider a great friend, but he only likes what he likes, and not afraid to say what's on his mind when it comes to anything, (that is why we debate on everything). Then finally there is I. I love beer and well that is all you really need to know. So on with the tasting.


The first beer was River Horse Special Ale from River Horse Brewing Co. Copper in color and a nice tan head. The nose on this was a sweet smell like caramel. Almost has a roasted malt with a touch of honey taste to it. It had a lot of hop flavor in the front part of the taste. Rothy's comments on this beer were that it had a thick taste to it, and pretty much rather have something else. Boozer X thought is was alright but the after taste was a little long in the swallow and he didn't care for it as much. If he had to choose on pay the price on this beer compared to something else he would go with something cheaper that he knows he would like. I'd have to agree with all the statements they had brought up. I did not care to much for this beer, but it was worth the try and I know I will try their other beers before I pass judgement on the brewery. Food with this beer would have to be something heavy like Beef Stew or Clam Chowder.
The second beer was Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewery Co. The color of the beer was of a brownish copper and head was a light tan color with large bubbles. the smell had a distinct smell of oak, a light floral hint, and I would have to say a little bit of fruit like sour oranges. Has a little bit of tannin in the mouth feel, but really smooth. Rothy did not like this beer as well. he said, "It tasted like he went out into the woods and bit into an oak tree". At this moment Boozer X almost fell out of his chair to get the rest of Rothy's sample. Boozer X liked the rich malty taste and the bitter from the hops. The first thing I tasted was the oak. then I picked up more of the sour orange taste as I drank it, but the rich malt and hop taste was more predominate. I really enjoyed this beer because it was different and had a lot of complex tastes in it. This would most definitly go great with a Blackened Steak and Garlic Smashed Potato side or something else rich and meaty.
The third beer of this session was the RJ ROCKERS Bell Ringer by RJ Rockers Brewing Company. And yes it did ring our bell. The nose on this had a sweet candy smell. Rich amber color to it, with a thin white head. The taste had a roasted yet caramel taste to it. Well balanced in the hop department. A little bit of a citrus, but the malt is really rich. The mouth feel on this one was pleasant and a little bit of weight to it, but not heavy at all. Boozer X pointed out that there was not a lot of alcohol burn in the taste for being an ABV. of 8.5%. He also mentioned that this beer would be the "Trouble Maker" of the beers, because it is very tasty and you might not know you had a little to much before it's to late. Rothy's comments were along the same lines, but he added head love to have this beer with a very good meal. I would have to agree on that. A rich, well balanced, and smooth drinking beer like this, (which I did not expect when I bought it), would need a meal that would match it. Bacon Wrapped Scallops, Sauteed Asparagus with Almonds, and Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Or, Flat Iron Steaks, Caramelized Onions and Bell Peppers, and Garlic Parmesan Steak Fries.
So this is all for now. Hopefully I'll have my Belgian Special Blog up later tonight or tomorrow morning. Like always, Enjoy and "CHEERS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment