Thursday, May 6, 2010

Belgian Special!!!


Welcome to the Belgian Special!



I decided to have this Belgian Special when I saw this 6 pack of beers when I was walking the isles in my local Total Wine store. I love Belgian Beers. I had a lot of them in my almost twelve years of beer drinking. No, I am not an alcoholic, I just enjoy beer and I usually do it in moderation. Not that I haven't had a few "One Off" night, because I have. I do have a few stories about and most of them are funny, some are sad, but luckily never had any really awful nights. If you want to know any of them just ask me when I see me or most of my friends because they all have their favorite stories. Anyways back to the beers. For this tasting I had 5 tasters. Boozer X, Jay, Rothy, and I are the usual suspects, but we had a new comer to the group Korean Phil. Yes he is Korean and he also is a professional cook, so he does have some good taste buds. Having all them here gives me a good range of tastes.
All these beers are from one of the greatest Breweries in Belgium, Brouwerij Van Steenberge.
There website: http://www.vansteenberge.com/EN/EN_welkom.html

So on to our first beer.





PIRAAT Belgian Amber Triple (IPA). Now I didn't tell anyone it was an IPA, because well they all don't care to much for IPA's. The nose on this was a, floral like sunflowers, little spicy, and a little malty. The color was a golden amber with a super thick head. The mouth feel was smooth and creamy. The taste was very complex but balanced. All the flavors intermingled, was sweet like honey, a little zesty citrus, a little flowery, and malty goodness. I would have to say one of the most interesting and tasty beers I have ever had. Everyone agree to that. There was not to many comments, well because everyone was sitting there drinking and trying to pick out all the flavors. To say there was smiles, I would not lie, but there was. Then when I told them it was an IPA, they thought I was crazy, but it really was the original IPA. The food pairing for this is really anything. I enjoy this with a nice Smokey Rack of Ribs, Fire Grilled Corn on the Cob, and some Potato Salad. Or Wood Plank Grilled Salmon, and Grilled Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms. I also hear that it goes great with cigars, maybe a nice Zino Platinum Especial.


Beer number two is the Bruegel Amber Ale. Nose on this beer was a little yeasty, fruit like fruit salad, and sweet malt. The color was clean amber color and a big thick head of foam. The mouth feel was creamy and smooth. The taste was sweet, slight fruit, nutty, and had a bit of bitter in the back end. Also a little funky, but that was to be expected. Rothy comment on this beer was that he would have to be in the mood for this beer. Jay didn't much care for it, he would rather have a Captain and Coke. Korean Phil thought it was a little to funky for him. Boozer X and I liked this one. Boozer X said "If we had this one before the PIRAAT, I'm sure they would have liked it more". I'd have to agree, but honestly I thought they all would hate the PIRAAT. As they say "My Bad". So for the Bruegel Ale I would say this beer stands well by itself but this would go great with any BBQ foods, a Micro Green Salad, or any type of sandwich. Oh, this would go great with a Open faced Reuben. Next!



Augustijn Ale is a Belgian Abby Ale. The nose to this is like smelling an orchard with different fruit trees mixed with some spicy tones, and a little wet hay smell. The color was a rich gold and a thick foamy head. The mouth feel was smooth, dry and creamy. The taste was fruity, and spicy. I got a little peach, honeydew and cardamon and cinnamon. A little bitter in the middle. Finished clean with a funk on the back end. Rothy, Jay, and Korean Phil, both like this and would have this again. Boozer X thought it was a little dry for him. I thought it was very enjoyable and
different. Also for being of a ABV. of 8.0% there was no burn in the mouth feel until it warmed up. A food pair for this was a Pepper Ranch Chicken Fajita and some Beans and Rice, or Spicy Garlic Chicken with Stir-Fry Vegetables.



Our fourth beer is the Bornem Double Abby Ale. The nose had a light yeast, fruit, and a bit of alcohol to it. The color was a dark reddish brown with a light brown thick head. The mouth feel was a little heavy and moderately thick. The taste had a light roast, some caramel malt, a bit of raisin and plum, some dark brown sugar and a nice bitter. It was slightly hot but that was to be expected. Boozer X did not really care for this beer. "Just not my style", he said. Rothy that it was nice but it was a starter beer, not something he would drink all night. Korean Phil agreed with that and then added he would need something to eat with it. Jay still wanted a Captain and Coke. By far this one was less then I expected. I wasn't disappointed, but I thought there would be more to it. Food pairing for this was a little hard to think of at first. An Apple Stuffed Pork Chop with Dried Cranberry sauteed String Beans, or Sausage and Pepper Sandwich.



Golden Draak is an unusual Belgian Dark Brown Triple. It is unusual because most Triples are a rich gold color. The color on this one was a dark brown with a almost orange brown head. The nose on this smelled like a sherry, sweet, alcoholic, and dried fruit. Taste was really sweet and of malt, brown sugar, cola, cherry, and raisin. The mouth feel was slightly creamy, but had a fizz to it like club soda. There is a lot of heat from the alcohol, but was also to be expected because it's a wopping ABV. of 10.5%. Pretty much everyone liked it but thought it was a little to much. This is really a dessert beer. It is to be enjoyed on its own after a meal. If I had to pair this it would be with a Chocolate Truffle Cake. So on to the next beer.

Bornem Triple Abby Ale is our next beer. But Boozer X said he had enough, because he was already buzzing. I also was feeling a slight buzz. So, We decided to hold of on the tasting for this one for another time. From the looks of it, everyone else was feeling it as well. It just goes to show you that a few of these beers can rock your world. So I promise to rate this beer in an upcoming blog. I will tell you if you see this mixed six pack in your local beer shop and you have been interested in trying something new, this is definitely for you.
I hope you enjoyed our journey into the world of Belgian beers. Enjoy and "CHEERS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment