Friday, May 21, 2010

One Off Tasting

Hello Everyone!!

This blog is LITTLE RANDOM. Going into the beer fridge we found some gems that I forgot that I had bought at my local beer store. Funny thing is that they all had a similar tastes: Rich, Dark, and Malty. Jay, Rothy, Boozer X, and myself on hand to try these beer. Honestly, Jay once again was no help. Why do I included Jay one may ask? I've known Jay for 27 years and well I can get rid of him, no actually, we are pretty much brothers in crime. He will always be there and vise versa. So on with the tasting.



Kasteel Donker from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V. ABV of a whopping 11.0%. The nose of straight sweet malt and a little fruit. It poured with a dark cream colored head and a dark reddish brown body. The taste had a caramel candy, a little heat, and a really sweet after taste, with some dried cherry. Mouth feel had some body but not really heavy. Rothy really like this one. As for Jay he was alright with it, but was more concerned with playing beer pong. Boozer X and I, both agreed it was a little sweet for our taste. I would consider this an after dinner drink to sip on. To make a food pairing on this would be hard. It would have it to be served on its own, but Cherries Jubilee or Baked Alaska would go with it.

Website: http://www.vanhonsebrouck.be/


Railbender Ale from Erie Brewing Company. The nose on this was of caramel malt and a very slight hint of flowers. It poured with a reddish brown color with a small cream head. It tasted like a light malted milk shake. Some hints of caramel malt, brown sugar, and a little yeasty spice. Not to much going on with this beer, Had a club soda feel to it. The mouth feel was light and had no real after taste. Boozer X, Rothy, and I just thought it lacked any "Wow!" factor. Although having 6.80% ABV. and not having any strong alcohol taste, you could get in real trouble with this beer. I would not pair this up with any really strong foods. Simple home style Mac 'n' Cheese, Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs, and some good ole Corn on the Cob.

Website: http://www.eriebrewingco.com/

Pike Kilt Lifter from Pike Seattle Brewing Co. A lot of people told me that I should try this one and that I would "Love" it. Don't get me wrong, it was tasty, but not in "Love" with it. When poured it has a dark reddish brown color and off-white large bubbly head. The nose on this was a mild malt, a little flowery, and a hint earthy hops. The mouth feel was a little heavy with some alcohol heat. The taste had a balanced between malt and hops. Little spice and dried fruit in the after taste. I did get a little bit of roast malt flavor. All in all, a nice beer to try. Since it is a Scotch Ale, I will pair this with a Deep Fried Pizza. Oh so good, yet oh so bad for you.


Website: http://www.pikebrewing.com/



I would suggest everyone to try these beers for yourself. As you can tell from my blogs, that I have my own taste. You should find your own. Pick up something you have never tried and you might just be surprised. As many different types of people in the world, their almost that many types of beer. I've written this before, but it is true. Have a beer adventure! "Be well, and drink well!"

No comments:

Post a Comment