Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Monk's Cafe

Hi Everybody,

The crew on this taste adventure are as follows:

Boozer X: My Comrade at arms and part of my pack. Always up to drink a few beers.

Jay: My oldest and dearest friend. Likes liquor more but I don't hold that against him.

Sylvia: A really sweet woman and friend. I would say more but it would be kind of rude. ;{)

The Beer Dawg: I myself and nobody else.

http://www.monkscafe.com/

Okay stole this picture from Monk's Cafe Website. Quite honestly, a way better picture then the one I took. From the picture you can guess that I and a couple of my friends went here for the "Monk's Sour Flemish Ale". It is voted as one of the "Must have Beers" in all of Beerdom. From GQ magazine to any other beer magazine, it is rated very highly. I, myself, have had it on numerous occasions, but this will be the first time reviewing it.

Monk's Sour Flemish Ale made only for Monk's Cafe from Van Steenberge brewery. ABV of 5.5 to 6%, (Quite honestly I got conflicting reports on the ABV., but its a tasty beer). I had it straight from the tap. Rich red color and a nice little head that laced the glass. The nose on it was fruity, a little spice, and tart. "A naughty little bit of crumpet". The mouth feel was light and quite refreshing. Boozer X tasted it and he wasn't expecting the sour to be predominate. He said "It's like drinking Sour Patch Kids". I would have to agree with that. The taste had sour in your face to it with, sweet dark fruits, candy, and sweet malt flavor. The finish was of a sweet and sour. A little more on the sour end but still nice. Jay didn't care for it to much, and Sylvia thought it was different.

I on the other hand, love this beer. It's fantastic! It is a must try if you are ever in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I have it every time I'm at Monk's Cafe. On my rating scale I give it a 6.5, because it is so unique. Most people do not ever try a beer like this. Major "Wow" factor. It is most likely one of the most interesting beers you will ever get to taste.

Now we set aside the beer for the food review. Before I get into the food I'd like to describe the place. I nice little cafe in the heart of the city, with two bars. It is small place, but what it doesn't have in size it makes up in heart. The atmosphere is of any great pub you have ever been to. Busy, regulars running about, first timers, and beer enthusiasts, all rolled up into one. Most nights this place is packed. Seating is usually a 1/2 hour to an hour. Now onto the food review.

I had the Steak Sandwich: a 5oz NY strip steak, grilled to order (medium well), on an Italian roll with lettuce, minus the tomato, raw onion & mayo. It was so tasty. At first thought, I saw this little steak on a hoagie roll and wasn't to happy. One bite and I didn't stop eating it until it was finished. I was really good. the perfect amount of char, the seasoning was perfect, and the mayo gave it a very nice little kick. It also had a small micro green salad on the side that was delicious. I give my meal an A+.

Boozer X ordered the "Pomme Frites", French fries to those who don't know. Came with a spicy horseradish mayo. Lightly seasoned fries, was a nice complement to the beers. Everyone said they were "O.K.", but I say they were awesome. Also the fact that we finished them would give a clue to how good they are.

Jay opted for the liquid dinner, but Sylvia order the chicken fingers. I didn't know chicken had fingers, but that didn't really matter because we are pretty sure that they were "Frog Legs" that were on the menu. I personally didn't get to taste them, but everyone else tried them. This led to Jay's only major contribution to the night was in this following phrase:

"Chicken Fingers. Awesome! That's it".

With this all being said, Monk's Cafe is a "MUST" to visit if you are ever in the city. That is all. "Good Day and Happy Drinking"!

No comments:

Post a Comment