Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Winter Beerfest 2011 Part 3

Now here is what most of you have been waiting for, the BEERS!

Our first stop was the Sixpoint booth. To my surprise it was Dan, the Sixpoint Rep. for our area.


We were met well before at Hawthorn's for growler night. Joey-O, BoozerX, and I decided to start off with the "Sweet Action".

Sweet Action has a ABV. of 5.2%. It has a nice citrus and sweet malt on the nose. The mouth feel was slightly creamy and smooth. First on the tongue is some citrus and spice, then rounds out to caramel maltiness and brown sugar, and finally finishes up with slight bitter. Clean and no real aftertaste. It seems the more I have this the more I want to drink it. I have to give this a 5.5 out of 6. I just wish I could get it more often. I would drink it all the time.

Next up was a Scotch ale called Scotty Karate from Dark Horse Brewing. ABV. of 9.75%. The smell has a lot of rich caramel malt, dried fruit, and breadiness.
the mouth feel is smooth and velvety with little carbonation. The taste sweet up front with rich caramel and toffee flavors. Then the fruitiness hits you in the middle and finish with some smoke, peat, and some yeast spices. This is another one I wish I could get more often. A 5.5 out of 6. If you like Scotch ales or malty beer, this is a must try.

Central Waters Mudpuppy Porter. ABV. of 5.5%. The nose you get a slight coffee and roast malt. The mouth feel is clean and light. The taste has some burnt coffee, roasted malt, and some chocolate. Finishes up with a slight burnt flavor. A 4.5 out of 6. If you like the char on a steak or the smokey BBQ, you will like this.

Kilty Pleasure from Philadelphia Brewing Co. ABV. of 8.0%. Joey-O really liked this one. The smell had some fruitiness and caramel. The mouth feel was a little hot, thick, and drying. Lots of fruit in the taste. Some cherry and plum right up front with some brown sugar and caramel malt. I picked up some plastic taste, but I was the only one. Finished with a earthy hop aftertaste. I would give this a 4 out of 6. Joey-O and BoozerX rate it higher. So once again, different strokes for different folks. You'll just have to try it for yourself.

Midas Touch by Dogfish Head Brewery. ABV. of 9.0%. Smells of honey and spice. The mouth feel is of a light syrup and a little hot. The tastes is of honey, spices, and golden raisins. The raisin hangs around on the aftertaste. This is a sweet spiced beer. I have had this a few times. Wish I had a few bottles to store. This is one of those 7 out of 6. A nice special occasion beer.

Arrogant Bastard Stone Smoked Porter. ABV. of 5.9%. Smell has some slight smoke and roasted malt. The mouth feel was light to medium and clean. the taste has some roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, and ends with smokiness. I found this had a really nice smokey aftertaste. I give this a 5.5 out of 6. A campfire brew.

Dock St. Man O Trouble. ABV. of 6.0%. The nose had some roasted malt, coffee, and a hint of vanilla. The mouth feel was a a little creamy and smooth. the taste of roasted malt, chocolate, slight coffee, and that hint of vanilla. Finishes up a little sweet. 5 out of 6. This is a good beer to add into your rotation in the fridge.

Twin Lakes Tweed Tavern Stout. ABV. of 5.0%. Slight roasted coffee and chocolate on the nose. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy and smooth. Tastes of chocolate, coffee, sweet and roasted malts. The aftertaste of coffee that dissipated fairly quickly. A 5 out of 6.

Ace Pear Cider. ABV. of 5.0%. The smell had a slight sweet and sour pear. The mouthfeel was clean and crisp. Slight pear with a tangy sour. Reminded me of watermelon sour patch kids. Finishes clean with a slight tang. BoozerX really liked this. A 5 out of 6. This is a great change of pace from your everyday beer.

After this we decided to take a little break and walk around.


We ran into Barry and Dana. The main reason for the Winter Beerfest. After exchanging pleasantries, we decided to head upstairs to try some more beers.

To be honest at this point, I was a loaded. So I'm not going to write full reviews for these next few beers but just give you some info about them.

Arcadia Smoked Porter. Strange burnt match flavor but curiously interesting. Going to get a six pack to try it again.

Williamsburg porter. So many porters at this point they were starting to taste the same. But this did catch my interest. Also going to pick up a six pack of this.

Mission brewery from Ca. was the next stop. The Blonde ale was super sour. The Amber ale was sweet and sour. Extremely awesome sour beers that I think everyone should try at least once.

Then I had a must have, Fireside Chat by 21st Amendment. Fantastic spicy, smoky, winter brew.

Then Allagash White. If you like Belgian style beers, you need to get a bottle of this.

After making our way back down stairs, we tried the Obovoid Stout from Boulder Beer. All these stouts so close but so different. This one I know I liked but don't know why.

After this we walked the non beer booths.


The Cabot Chesse booth had some fantastic cheeses. I'm not lying when I say I tried all the cheeses at least twice. The even had a beer and cheese guide.

After this happened I ran into a few ladies I had been bumping into all night. This time I accidentally spilled a tiny but of beer on one of them. Right on her chest. I felt bad, but she told me not to worry about it. Still I had to try to make it up to her so I got her a beer.

The beer you might ask? It was some "Sweet Action". She laughed and gave her number. So thank you to Sixpoint for being a great pick up line. Even though this was cool it turned a little strange when her friend wanted to braid my hair. So I ended up with a braided pony tail. Totally weird, but what the hell.

Then my last pitfall for the night happened.


http://www.famouskirbys.com/mobile/flavors.php

People told me I had to try the Four Alarm one. I love hot stuff but... Okay this is a little graphic, so if you choose to skip the last bit of this blog I won't blame you.

It was so hot, that I started tearing up, sweating, coughing as soon as I finished chewing two pretzel nuggets. It felt like my mouth was on fire. I went back to the cheese booth to get some cheese and went back to Sixpoint to get beer. It lasted for a good fifteen minutes. The next day my ass was on fire. It was not fun but it was funny. Never again. I might try their other flavors but not that one ever again.

Well that's it for this long ass blog. I have some pictures of the aftermath of the beerfest and our journey for the best slice in the next blog.

As always "Be Well and Drink Well"!

No comments:

Post a Comment