Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Abbaye. A Good Day!

Welcome Back.

To start this one off, you should know that this was going to be a review about The Standard Tap in Philadelphia, Pa. A place I always wanted to go, but never got around to it. Once again it will be held off for another time, due to the fact that they open up at 4 pm, and I was there around lunch time. So I decided to go to the next place on my list, The Druid's Keep. That was a no go, because just like The Standard Tap, they don't open until 4pm. As fate would have it, Abbaye was next on my list. In all honesty I'm glad it was. I really liked this place.
FaceBook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Philadelphia-PA/The-Abbaye/51059792141?v=wall

Abbaye is off of North 3rd Street. A corner style pub, with cafe seating along the side of the building. The inside has a long "L" shaped bar, with table seating along the walls. I was greeted by "FLIP"or maybe "PHLIP" (didn't ask for the spelling), he was the bartender. He is one of those cool Philly bartenders that I talk about. He knows his beer, menu, and great with the chit chat. A large crowd of people for lunch. I would have to guess they were all locals from the area with a few visitors like me from out of town.

It was lunch time and I didn't get a chance to eat breakfast, so needless to say I was hungry for some grub. As I took a gander at the chalk board of


"Today's Specials", one item stood out from the rest. Apricot Bourbon BBQ Tofu, with Grilled Squash and Wild Rice. Now I love Tofu so it was an easy choice. Hey! Don't look at me like that. Tofu really doesn't have much of a taste, but it does take in the flavors of what it's cook in, so BBQ Tofu has to be really good.

When the plate arrived, it's presentation was very simple and elegant. It smelled wonderful. I could pick up the tomatoes and apricots in the sauce, along with pepper on the grilled squash. Then I could get the hint of nuttiness from the rice. With fork and knife in hand, I went to town. The Tofu was how I liked it. A stiff solid cake, with the texture of cutting into a steak. First bite, was like an orgy of flavors in my mouth. The Bourbon hit first, then the tomato, the spices hit next, and finished up with the sweetness of apricot. I was a happy camper.

Next I went onto the grilled squash and wild rice. The squash was seasoned with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Really brought out the flavor of the squash. It was grilled to perfection. Slightly soft, but with a little snap to the chew. The wild rice had a little give to the bite, and had a nutty flavor. It even tasted better when some of the BBQ sauce was mixed in.

I was full. It was a very good meal. I also had some very good beers to go with my meal as well. they both stoud up well to the meal.


Weyerbacher's Merry Monks by Weyerbacher Brewery Easton, Pa. This poured a cloudy gold color with a thin white head. Fruits, yeast, and sweet malt was on the nose as I smelled it. Mouth feel was a medium body with good carbonation, and a slight heat from the alcohol. The taste was extremely fruity, with the malt sweetness in the front,some tang in the middle, and finished up with some hop flavor and fruits on the back end. Finishes up nice and smooth. This went very well with my meal. Another food pairing for this would be Grilled Chicken Salad with Apples and Cranberries.

Website: http://weyerbacher.com/



Hand Pumped Yards ESA from Yards Brewing Company Philadelphia, Pa. Poured a cloudy reddish brown with a light tan head. Smelled of caramel, toffee, sweet malt, and bready. The mouth feel was smooth, medium body, with a slight carbonation. The taste was amazing to say the least. I love malty beers. Caramel, toffee, a little biscuit malt, some hazelnut, some vanilla, and a hint of fruit and hops. The reason that this did not get a "7" is because it would not last in my fridge. It was really amazing. The reason I didn't get another one while I was there is because I had plenty of work to do that day, and one more would have turned to many more.

Website: http://www.yardsbrewing.com/

Abbaye is a place to go for great food and awesome beer, if your in the city. Also would make a great "Date Night" place.

Also don't forget the "Mug Shot" picture contest runs until August 20, 2010 for picture submissions to win some cool Glassware and cash. Good luck to you all and as always, "Be Well, and Drink Well!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment