Tuesday, April 20, 2010

BBQ and Beer

Well like I mention I like beer, I also like barbecue. So when you put those two together I'm in heaven. I came across a recipe in Steven Raichlen's BBQ USA Cook Book. You can get it on Amazon. Here is the link: BBQ-USA-Recipes-Across-America

.

So I tried it and well I liked it, but it wasn't as "POW" for me as I thought is was going to be so I amped it up for my taste buds.


What you'll need:

8oz of Beer (Mean 40z for you to drink)

2 cloves of Garlic minced

1 small chili or Jalapeno minced and seeded

Tsp. of lemon zest

1 Tbsp. of lemon juice

1 Tbsp. of lime juice

2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

3 Tbsp. of light brown sugar

2 Tbsp. chicken stock or vegetable stock

1 stick of butter cubed

Salt and Pepper

Boil beer, garlic, and lemon zest until it reduces to about half about 5 min. Then add lemon and lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce to half. Then using a small hole strainer, strain into a bowl, then discard the solids and add the sauce back into the pot. Then slowly add the butter in a few cubes at a time mixing it until smooth over a medium heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can add some other spices to taste, but I like it, like this. Simple, tangy, and a little heat. Great on shrimp, crab, chicken, pork, and grilled vegetables.

I used a few different beers, IPA's were okay. Porters and Bitters not so much. A nice lager like an Oktoberfest was really good, but I prefer to drink a good beer with my meal. Honestly, a pilsner or a light ale was perfect.

So the recipe is just a simple outline. Try something new, and some curry powder or old bay or rosemary and thyme. Make it your own sauce. Yellow curry is great if your basting chicken kabobs. I've tried a lot of them. Ones I like and others I don't, but that's me. You should find your own taste and run with it. Change the lemon and lime juice to rice wine vinegar or balsamic, you just need an acid. Even orange juice works. If you don't like it spicy don't use the chili pepper. Use your imagination.

So that's pretty much for now. Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment