Monday, April 26, 2010

7 Beers, 6 Tasters (Part 2)

Hello Everyone, again!

Still have 3 beers left to review. I also want to take this time to thank my tasters. They kind of had this thrown upon them, and well they are not professional tasters. For that reason alone is why I am glad to have them as my own beer tasters. Everyday type of people who will give me honest input and not afraid to say what's on their minds. So thank you tasters.

The Tasters:

Jay "I really don't like beer, because it fills me up"
Rothy "You bring it, we'll drink it"
Chris "I can have a few beers"
The Lady "I'll give it a try, but I like liquor better"
Boozer X "You had me at beer"
Dan A.K.A. Beer Dawg "Yes, I love beer" (Not really thanking myself, but whatever)

Saison Dupont Vieille Provision is a Belgium Farmhouse Ale. ABV. of 6.5%. The nose on this one had a little wet hay smell, a tinge of fruit and spice. The head on this beer was light and fluffy. It's cloudy (because it's unfiltered), and has a copper gold color to it. Jay staying true to character said, "I don't know if I want to drink this", but he did. "It's pretty good, just hold your nose when I drink it", he said. Boozer X, Chris, Rothy, and I all commented on how smooth the mouth feel was. Rothy also pointed out that is was a little sweet at first and then had that little bitter taste, which we all did agree on. Boozer X and I both thought the aftertaste stuck around a little longer then we would like, but it wasn't bad. The Lady thought is was okay, but she'd rather have a martini. This did get marks ranging from 4.5 to 5.5, averaging out to a 5 rating. So this a beer you should at least try if you see it on the shelf. A food pairing for this would have to be as complex as the beer itself. Something spicy, like a Garlic and Rosemary Chicken, or that Rabbit wrapped in prosciutto dish I can't remember the name of.
If you want to read a little more on this beer check out the website:
http://www.brasserie-dupont.com/dupont/Default.aspx?Lang=en&page=tableaupres



Black Sheep Ale is not a conventional Brown Ale. Has an ABV. of 4.4%. A light Carmel type of head to it. The beer itself had a clear, roasted brown color to it. The nose on the beer was a little bit bitter, and fruity. Chris thought it tasted like a Bock beer. Tasted a little unbalanced. It had a little to much hop to go with the roast coffee and malty taste. Everyone agreed that it was the sharpest beer we had to taste. Boozer X commented on how dry the mouth feel was and that the after taste stayed around long then it should have. The range on this beer fell between a 2 and a 4 rating. So a 3 rating for this beer, which means if you like tasting something new give this one a try, it's different to say the least. A food pair on this one took me some time to think about. I'd venture a guess that something a little sweet like a Orange Beef, a Chicken with Mango Salsa or a Yorkshire Pudding. They have other beers listed on there website that I know I am going to try if I can get a hold of them.
http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/Beers/BottledBeers/BlackSheepAleTasting.aspx



Red Hook 8-4-1 Limited Release Expedition Ale . A Imperial Brown Ale. Has an ABV. of 9.5%. This is a blended beer. Almost a dark chocolate brown color to it. This was kind of the star of the evening. Everyone thought this was an outstanding beer. Sweet and warming, because it has a high alcohol content. Then it had a little bitter in the middle of the taste. Nice dark roast taste to it. The head was creamy and Carmel color. The nose on this you could smell the oak. Very smooth mouth feel. Rothy said it was his "Poor Beer", because instead of buying a few beers, he could buy one of these 22oz. bottle and be good for the rest of the night. Boozer X agreed and said that this was the type of beer he'd buy a case of and when he wanted a a "One Off Night", he could pull out 2 or 3 of these and be good. I added to this conversation that on a cold night this would do the job of making you all warm and fuzzy. Even Jay and The Lady said they'd drink this but they'd be careful not to drink to much of it, because it would sneak up on you. Chris pretty much reiterated what we all said, but he was sitting there enjoy this tasty beverage. The rating on this one was between a 5 and a 6. A 5.5 rating on this one. Every beer collector should have this one in their inventory. A must try for all beer drinkers. Reading up this beer I was impressed the lengths they went through to make this beer. Check out the link below to find out more about this beer.
http://www.redhook.com/

I hope you all enjoyed this 2 part tasting. There will be many more to come. Like always, ENJOY and "CHEERS"!

OOPS! Forgot the food pairing for the Red Hook 8-4-1 Limited Release Expedition Ale. This would make a great add to the sauce in a pot pie. Also a nice pair to go with a Blue Cheese Burger, or a Spicy Sausage dish. Also be nice with some Vanilla Ice Cream. BEER FLOAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment